funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government to Ask Courts to Toss Phone

From: "Lindsey, Ben J" <ben.lindsey () centerpointenergy com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:10:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: coderman [mailto:coderman () gmail com]

On 6/12/06, Lindsey, Ben J <ben.lindsey () centerpointenergy com> wrote:
  I personally wouldn't compare the two "wars" -- but
that's just me.  I see them being very different.  I do agree
there will be no defining moment of victory.  I certainly
hope that one day it will certainly be a smaller problem (or
perhaps a less worrisome one) so that we might get on with
things as usual.

agreed; i suppose i meant they are similar in that it is impossible to
"win" either, in the sense that a final battle will not ensure no more
drugs, or no more terrorism.

this is different from traditional wars where one side does clearly
and finally prevail over the other.  this is the difference and
similarity i meant to highlight.

I understand your point very much -- it is very valid, because this is clearly not a war with two sides fighting for a
generally static outcome.  In that sort of manner, "war on foo" is a good comparison to help in the understanding of
the goals involved. (which are, as you've implied (I think), somewhat vague to many perhaps)

  I'm not comfortable with this by any means, but I
tolerate it, to a certain degree I accept it as part of the
situation.  I don't think any "state of war" by anyone's
definition in the US or abroad was meant to be comfy for
those involved -- and I think (personally) that people in the
US (as they are possible targets) are in fact involved.  I
don't live in fear of terrorism -- simply in the knowledge
that I am not untouchable.

i worded this poorly; i suppose i wanted to focus on the fact that
this war is not a foreign war like most people are used to.  the
battle is going to wage across national boundaries and there are a lot
of subsequent consequences of this fact that i think are overlooked by
the population in general.

  Indeed, there can be from one to many true battlegrounds or none at all for it to persist.

  By law written previous to the war, or by more recent
legislation?  And when you think about this, remember that
the President is not only head of the executive branch, but
the commander-in-chief of armed forces -- as such, if he
requires something to carry out that duty, I have no problem
considering it -- but others seem to throw up a wall without
consideration.  I honestly can't tell anymore whether that is
simply because of who he is or the thing he asks for -- it
has become blurry in that respect.  I would certainly say the
wording the Authorization of Military Force is (at best) nebulous.

right, and this is where most of my concerns lay.  is it ever
appropriate to bypass FISA?  what level of oversight is appropriate?
can it be internal to a specific agency only?  does it require
external judicial review by a quorum of judges?  can a single
individual in the justice department negate precedent? etc.

  Regarding FISA, I honestly don't have a personal feeling about whether its OK to go around them and when -- I will
say that (perhaps) it might make more sense to revisit FISA and properly address this.  On the other hand, given the
political context of everything now I don't think I want this in a judge's hands, much less a politician.

this poor and unspecific wording and assumed context is a huge part of
the problem.  i don't know that i have a good answer to it; every one
of our elected representatives has failed to some degree; this is not
a partisan problem (democrats were involved in some of the classified
presentations to the senate, etc, and either out of fear or negligence
did not air any concerns at the time, etc)

but it has certainly turned political (one of the disgusting actions i
clearly remember was a democrat on a review keeping his silence during
an overview of the terrorist surveillance program, and then
publicizing a copy of a letter of concern he wrote when the NYT
published about the program.  this was clearly a political gambit for
personal gain with no real effort or concern about the liberties
involved)

anyway, this is a longer discussion.  i could get sidetracked in the
political treachery of either side for hours... :/

  I'm curious to know myself just how much is pure political treachery vs. how much is a deeply felt conviction.  I'm
sorry to say I just can't tell anymore.

  I find the Narus deal a bit fishy for the same reasons I
wouldn't want citizens to have their phone calls listened to
without sufficient cause.  As juicy as all that data may
seem, with no oversight, it's a nightmare.  Mostly I see the
Narus deal as a waste -- for instance: why watch all the
channels all the time of the only one with shows you like
also give you the ability to concentrate!  There is simply to
much data there to comprehend, via human or machine.

right, and this is why i think the TIA programs are a waste; the odds
are just too small for this kind of analysis to be effective.  they
are a huge boon when applied properly (for example, marketing
demographics or credit card fraud detection) but trying to locate
potential terrorists is a very poor problem to try and adapt these
methods to.

  I don't know how I feel about it yet, but I'd rather give it some time than cut it off at the knees.  I say that
about certain aspects of TIA, but certainly not in the context of internet snooping, because I feel that is most
certainly like pissing up a rope.

  I can only think of things I was aware of because of my
position -- but certainly you can think of situations in US
history where certain rights were suspended or flat-out run
over in order to address an issue of "national security."

fair enough.  and in that respect these current efforts are not nearly
as invasive or damaging.

  I agree, the real question is who should do the dirty work required to make sure they don't become as invasive.  I'm
pretty sure that is something I do not trust the ACLU with.  I really wish there was a better option.

  I'm not so sure it wouldn't have been approved under FISA
-- but I do know the time it would have taken could have made
a large blind spot during the wait, or even worse, spilled
the beans.  Given the wording of the Authorization of
Military Force by the house and senate, the administration
may have even felt there was no need.  I would also imagine
that they needed this to remain under the radar as long as
possible in order for it to be effective.  It is difficult to
say if that was the reasoning, and as you say, this remains
an issue.  I can only think of possible reasons it was done
as it was, I'm not what you might call a proponent of
breaking the rules.

true.  i don't know enough to pass judgement, but there are a number
of details here that leave a bad taste; the reluctance of Ashcroft to
continue authorization, the intentional bypass of FISA (and like you
said, it might have been approved, and perhaps only some process
changes were necessary to support this type of monitoring), etc.

  I imagine Ashcroft was conflicted, it is a difficult decision -- especially given the FISA situation and how it
relates to some people natural ability to think of possible repercussions more easily than possible results.  Now that
its all out in the open, perhaps running it through FISA (even after the fact) could be an option.

  I already told you what I used to do for a living -- deep
black often serves a vital purpose, even though on the face
of it I agree, it does look deceitful.  I remember a certain
military intelligence project for instance that had
information about 911 terrorists before the fact.  Whether
the information they gleaned would have been effective had it
become known to the proper domestic authorities is not
something I can begin to speculate about.  I can't say how
"black" a project that was, except to say it is likely that
congress/senate would not like it.

i would have to agree with you on the value of this method, but i
still insist that it is necessary and possible to implement
appropriate oversight.  i guess this is what irked me about it - it
was assumed to be canceled, and not even a subset of the
congress/senate cleared for national security matters knew what had
really happened. (or maybe some subset did, and simply said nothing,
which gets back to the general distasteful manner in which politics
interferes with actual public interest which i talked about earlier)

Oversight?  Or just accountability?  I'd prefer the latter, given that oversight doesn't guarantee accountability, it
almost does the opposite.

  Oversight is great, so long as it does not compromise the
mission, otherwise why even try?  If oversight could be
safely achieved, I would certainly jump on the oversight
bandwagon.  Trouble is, we don't have people capable of
proper oversight at this point.

i always thought that members of the judiciary with proper security
clearances was a suitable source of objective and reasonable
oversight.

  How many security clearances should be handed out just for this, and who will decide to whom -- will you give these
judges all the information being considered by operatives, or just a general idea?  While its a good idea in theory, I
don't know if it would be practical.

what scares me is when an operative, a high ranking
officer/administrator and maybe two  other people in the DoJ /
executive branch are aware of the mere existence of a program, let
alone its ongoing status/actions.

  I don't blame you, it’s a scary thing sometimes.

Sure, we have lots of politicians (of all kinds) who like
to say the word, but I'm not sure they understand the
possible consequences of doing it wrong.  I'm sure we will
get there eventually though, I imagine everyone would like to
know that there were competent watchers watching the watchers.

fair enough; it's easy for me to take shots from the sidelines but
there are very real lives at stake and i can sympathize with the
desire to err on the side of caution (too much secrecy).

  Well, I suppose that does pretty well state the angle I take on all of this -- Cautious.

  ECHELON rises again, huh?  Very interesting, I agree.

indeed.  the fiber bay in the USS Jimmy Carter and the infrastructure
expansion at various landing points near by (oregon) continue to pique
my curiosity into what this program has evolved into :P

  I can't wait to see what they waste my money on next!

Yes, it involves citizens, but also foreign nationals --
but no one (to my knowledge) has ever said, "Stop taking our
information and privacy and only take theirs.."

i guess this was an assumption on my part.  who doesn't expect their
government to spy abroad?  i suppose if we had no enemies i'd argue
against the spy craft in general but this is a pipe dream even i can't
anticipate in the best of worlds...

  I still hope there will be much simpler times in our country's future, I don't want it to always be a pipe dream.  I
don't know if it is a problem we can't solve, or just human nature we can't control.

  Accountability is something that is measured in stages,
to say there is no accountability in this situation would (to
me) be a supposition at this point, there will be
accountability, but how many fingers can be in the
informational pie before it is unacceptable.

true, there is accountability in some form, and i should have said it
is currently insufficient and that i disagree with the extent to which
it has been either intentionally or unintentionally limited.

  I'd say accountability certainly has been (for whatever reason) limited, whether intentionaly or out of ignorance --
and that needs to change.

  I will certainly say that TIA is not a mature program --
but to say it does cannot have a more useful future seems to
contradict the entire method.  (which is to say, the more
data you get and the better you become at interpreting it --
the more true positives you will receive)  If indeed it
cannot be perfected however, I agree, chuck it -- for now,
I'll give it time.

fair enough; perhaps if thresholds are set high enough and the right
data is applied it will be useful. i will continue to remain very
skeptical of this though, simply because i'm familiar with the
technical difficulties of this type of profiling when applied to very
small subsets (terrorists) whose potentially identifying traits also
invoke a large number of false positives.

  Lets just hope it doesn't get too much worse before it tries to turn a corner.

  When citizen A places a call to suspected terrorist B at
the Tora Bora hideout, it would certainly be nice to know
that there were capable people keeping an eye on Mr. A and
his friends.  To be honest and simplistic, I think this is
the singular goal of the entire domestic program.

agreed, and this is reasonable (for some definition of "keeping an eye
on").  and while some people like to denounce intelligence service all
around, i accept that this is one of many situations where it is
reasonable and useful to have them looking out for the public
interest. this is also why i'd argue it is critical to keep them
clearly within the bounds of law and devoid of abuses so that they can
continue to be effective without trampling on individual rights.

  I have to believe that our intelligence community (for the most part, there are bad apples to be sure) does indeed
have our protection in mind, even when they go overboard.  ;)

  Thanks a ton for your mail, I appreciate it a great deal.
It is quite nice to have a decent conversation about this
for a change.

thanks to you as well, it is often hard to have a balanced discussion
about heated topics.

Always my pleasure,

- -bjl