funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government to Ask Courts to Toss Phone

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:17:18 -0700

On 6/12/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
I'm very much reminded by the war between Eurasia (them) and Oceania (us)
with the personification of the enemy in Goldstein (bin Laden). This war
will, of course last for ever (I refer to Orwell's war, of course, or do
I?) and is used to justify ever-increasing suppression of the people of
Oceania (and Airstrip One in particular).

i was always fond of 'Brazil' and the way terrorism was used as the
justification for extreme measures including torture, and the way in
which an all pervading bureaucracy coupled to unquestioning faith in
failed technology led to the most foul of oppressions.

we really do need to move beyond fear but all sides are well
accustomed to this tactic and i don't see a remedy on the horizon.