funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] US vs EU

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:16:45 +0100

If you've got a suggestion of a news site to visit occasionally

news.bbc.co.uk (there used to be a rather good "Biased BBC" site, but I
can't seem to find it right now)

Also guardian.co.uk, but you might prefer the Times: www.timesonline.co.uk.

I'm afraid I don't do non-UK news sites very often, though I do
aljazeera.net
occasionally. (Not in Arabic!) When I do travel in Europe, I actually find
CNN's European channel rather good, TV-wise.

- let me have it. If you have some examples of stories about what
you're security agencies are doing, even better (I found a couple
simply searching).

I wasn't entirely fair, maybe. A lot of MI* activity tends to be ascribed or
footnoted to police operations, and maybe I've had a lot of practice at
reading between the lines. It's common knowledge (meaning it was in the
papers, on TV etc.) that a lot of the intelligence about recent bomb-making
activities, threats to air-travel etc. derived from the security services.
The really interesting question is not whether MI* is doing anything, but
whether they're doing anything apart from run around in panicky circles. But
that's not a question you should restrict to UK security services.

--
David Harley
Security Author & Consultant

Still, this isn't quite my point. The original post made no mention of
M* while discussing the possible spying on English citizens. Why not?
Aren't they as likely to be working WITH the CIA/NSA as against? Of
course... I guess you can call it bad reporting but then that must be the
standard over there then because NONE of the articles posted on this list
(at least THIS list - which does have its own bias, of
course) are any better.