funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will Amnesty International be taking up the case of DavidCarruthers of BetOnSports?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:56:25 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Matthew Murphy wrote:

Brian Loe wrote:
Question I have here is: how did this guy break a US law from the UK?
I never understood it with the Panama bullshit and I don't understand
it in this instance...

The United States uses a liberal theory of legal jurisdiction -- anytime
you do business with people inside the U.S., that business is subject to
federal law.  Foreign nationals whose business relationships with
Americans violate U.S. law are eligible for prosecution just as they
would be if their business were done within the physical boundaries of
the territory of the United States.

California used this same theory of jurisdiction at the state level to
regulate all businesses with California customers under its now-infamous
breach notification law.

The only reason they waited to arrest him until he arrived in the U.S.
was because extradition arrangements were not available due to the
"shared standard" rule of most extradition treaties.  That is, because
Mr. Carruthers actions were NOT illegal in his homeland, U.S.
extradition treaties could not be applied.

IMO, the concern about flight lists being used to identify Carruthers is
misplaced.  Carruthers would have been obligated to file customs
declarations upon arrival in the United States that would have exposed
him to identification.

No - if you're transiting via a country, you get into the transit lounge,
and you don't have to do paperwork. The transit lounge is a kind of
limbo for customs.

An outstanding arrest warrant signed by a
federal judge would have been identified at that stage, regardless.
That, of course, assumes there wasn't any immigration paperwork filed
prior to his arrival -- probably a lofty assumption.

A good assumption - he wasn't immigrating to the USA. He was on his way
someplace else.