funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will Amnesty International be taking up the case of DavidCarruthers of BetOnSports?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:22:26 -0400

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:35:32 CDT, Matthew Murphy said:

I really don't see why there's so much fuss about U.S. government access
to international flight records, and I'm a civil libertarian.  The U.S.
government has every right to request such access, IMHO, and all they're
gaining from having it is a matter of hours advance notice of visitors'
arrival.

I think that if the notification had come from the proper channels, there
would be no fuss.  The problem is that the US government set up a special
data feed from international flight records into the "anti-terrorism" effort,
and promised that it would *only* be used for that.

But now there's indications that the anti-terrorism group threw data over
the fence to the anti-gambling squad, when they said they wouldn't do that.
And this gives everybody *real* confidence that other "only for anti-terrorism"
efforts like monitoring everybody's phone calls will be held properly and
not leaked to other organizations.