funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will Amnesty International be taking up the case of DavidCarruthers of BetOnSports?

From: Matthew Murphy <mattmurphy () kc rr com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:35:32 -0500

Drsolly wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Matthew Murphy wrote:
IMO, the concern about flight lists being used to identify Carruthers is
misplaced.  Carruthers would have been obligated to file customs
declarations upon arrival in the United States that would have exposed
him to identification.

No - if you're transiting via a country, you get into the transit lounge,
and you don't have to do paperwork. The transit lounge is a kind of
limbo for customs.

Federal law in the United States requires all international travelers to
the United States, including transit-only travelers, to have a Visa (you
can receive a "Transit Visa" for this purpose) or, if you're from a
select list of countries (like the UK), participate in the Visa Waiver
Program (VWP).  That means filling out the I-94W form, which includes:

* Name
* DOB
* National Origin
* Arrival Flight/Transit Information
* Lodging Information
* Passport Number
etc.

You'll also be denied entry without proof of citizenship -- transit
visitor, or not.

An outstanding arrest warrant signed by a
federal judge would have been identified at that stage, regardless.
That, of course, assumes there wasn't any immigration paperwork filed
prior to his arrival -- probably a lofty assumption.

A good assumption - he wasn't immigrating to the USA. He was on his way
someplace else.

His status as an immigrant or a transit traveler should not determine
whether he files a customs declaration, aka I-94W.  The I-94W includes
plenty of information to identify him beyond any reasonable margin of
error as the subject of a federal arrest warrant -- and is therefore
enough information to detain him under U.S. law.

The only thing the U.S. government MIGHT have gained from accessing
flight records (if that took place as alleged) was more certainty of
when he'd be arriving.  U.S. customs collects the flight information of
all inbound international visitors upon arrival, anyway, as outlined above.

I really don't see why there's so much fuss about U.S. government access
to international flight records, and I'm a civil libertarian.  The U.S.
government has every right to request such access, IMHO, and all they're
gaining from having it is a matter of hours advance notice of visitors'
arrival.