funsec mailing list archives

Re: Canadian revolution

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:53:03 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 10/25/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

Here's the reason - religion usually make life worse. Look around at the
world today.

While I don't support organized religions, I really can't understand
your blanket assertions that they're all evil. There are a lot of
congregations that do a LOT of good around the world.

People are, basically, good. That's a result of evolution - people who are
nicer to each other have a better survival rate than people who try to
kill each other. And so you'll find many, many congregations that are
good, despite their religion.

But some religions start off from the assumption that people are,
intrinsically, sinful. That's the start of the wickedness. And then, many
of the more popular religions believe that people not in their faith are,
somehow, "doomed" and that it's their duty to show these people the One
True Path Of Righteousness, and some of them aren't too bothered about the
means they use.

How you can
compare modern Christian religions to the wackos in the middle east is
beyond me.

You ask specifically about Christianity, so I'll give you examples from
that superstition.

Read the saga of Dover, and how the religious wackos tried to install
creationism into education via the back door. Read about all the people
who believe that the world was created in six days. Read about all the
people who believe that contraception is a sin, and that condoms are evil.
Read about all the wackos who believe that homosexuality is an illness, or
a sin to be punished by stoning. And these are all "modern Christian
religions" in America.

Now read about how Christians today torture children accused of witchcraft
outside America. Different countries, same group of religions.

http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/6/761.html?1052675662
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/witch1.htm

..and its not even all of the Muslims in the middle east! I
have not seen it myself but I'm sure there is a Muslim congregation
somewhere that has done some good as well.

And in the paragraph above, there's a searing indictment of religion. I'm
sure that *most* Muslim congregations do mostly good, because people are
mostly good despite their religion. But if you think that a good Muslim
congregation is a rarity, then you must believe that the issue is their
religion, because people are the same all over the world. And so, the
problem is religion.

It's been awhile since the pope excommunicated your king, you should
get over it. Live and let live.

I would love to. But religious nutters think that their imaginary friend
has given them permission to interfere in my life.