funsec mailing list archives

Re: Canadian revolution

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:35:39 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 10/25/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

People are, basically, good. That's a result of evolution - people who are
nicer to each other have a better survival rate than people who try to
kill each other. And so you'll find many, many congregations that are
good, despite their religion.

In spite of and often because of their religion.

No - the impulses to good come from inside ourselves. The religions tend
to push us in the opposite direction. Read whichever Holy Book is closest
to you. I mean, really read it, without trying to gloss over the "bad
stuff", which you only know is bad because of your own innate goodness.

But some religions start off from the assumption that people are,
intrinsically, sinful.

This is true for many, especially Christians. However, if you start
off bad, and you're in church, you must want to be a better person.

If you're in a supermarket, you probably want to be a better person. If
you're in a park, or a baker, or a library, you probably want to be a
better person. but if you're in a church, you're in the place that is
espousing the ideas of the Holy Book that I just suggested you re-read.

That's the start of the wickedness. And then, many
of the more popular religions believe that people not in their faith are,
somehow, "doomed" and that it's their duty to show these people the One
True Path Of Righteousness, and some of them aren't too bothered about the
means they use.

Yes, I hate it when those damned reformed Mormons knock on my door at
9am Saturdays!

I can only assume, in this day and age, you're talking of Muslims.

Please don't assume that. Read, for example, the Holy Bible, which is full
of war, murder and genocide.

What percentage of the Muslim faith do you perceive to be evil?

I don't know it well enough to be able to estimate, but I don't see it as
being much different from Judaism or Christianity.

You ask specifically about Christianity, so I'll give you examples from
that superstition.

Read the saga of Dover, and how the religious wackos tried to install
creationism into education via the back door. Read about all the people
who believe that the world was created in six days. Read about all the
people who believe that contraception is a sin, and that condoms are evil.
Read about all the wackos who believe that homosexuality is an illness, or
a sin to be punished by stoning. And these are all "modern Christian
religions" in America.

I'm in America and I appear to be less effected by this than you...go figure.

Now read about how Christians today torture children accused of witchcraft
outside America. Different countries, same group of religions.

Well, we'll surely all burn for the sins of them...

http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/6/761.html?1052675662
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/witch1.htm

..and its not even all of the Muslims in the middle east! I
have not seen it myself but I'm sure there is a Muslim congregation
somewhere that has done some good as well.

And in the paragraph above, there's a searing indictment of religion. I'm
sure that *most* Muslim congregations do mostly good, because people are
mostly good despite their religion. But if you think that a good Muslim
congregation is a rarity, then you must believe that the issue is their
religion, because people are the same all over the world. And so, the
problem is religion.

I didn't say that a good Muslim congregation is a rarity - I simply

I htink you did. You said you think there is a good muslim congregation
somewhere, meaning one. If you didn't think it was rare, you might have
said "I'm sure there are lots ..."

have ZERO experience with ANY Muslims. I can turn on the TV and see
what some evangelical church in Texas has done for some small village
in Africa - not so for a Muslim congregation.

That's possibly because you don't get Arabic television. Now, I don't ever
see news items about evangelical churches in Texas.

Sorry. The news is all
bad, but I don't see the Muslim religion as a bad thing - Malcolm X
converted and suddenly realized he was a racist. Works for me.

I would love to. But religious nutters think that their imaginary friend
has given them permission to interfere in my life.

I think its your own self-importance that has placed you in that hell
- and the fact that you give these groups/people power over you that
they are probably unaware of.

Live and let live.

If only they would.