funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 22:09:30 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

On 5/14/07, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

The only way a cop has to know of most drunk drivers is to pull them
over for something else. By then they've committed a crime of some
sort

Rubbish. Someone might drive into a tree. That's not a crime. But then
if you test them for alcohol and find they're drunk, then they've been
recklessly endangering everyone around them.

So you admit that cops are only involved after the fact and therefore
the law did nothing to prevent the drunk from hitting the tree?

I'm really not too bothered if a drunk wrecks his own car. It's his
recklessness getting me killed that infringes my rights.

You've often stated that you enjoy visiting the pub, and having good
beer. Do you walk? Does England not have a public intoxication law? Or
public nuisance law?

It's very simple. If I drink, then I don't drive. If I'm driving, I don't
drink. It's very simple, and very easy to do.

Easier than answering a question even, eh?

I answered it. I might walk, or someone else might drive me, or I might
get a bus or a train. But I wouldn't drive.

No, we don't have a public intoxication law. You can be drunk in public,
that's your problem (unless your driving a car, then it's a problem for
other people too). Yes, we have a public nuisance law.

Once again, there's such a thing as recklessly endangering other people.
Getting tanked up and trying to control a ton of hurtling vehicle is just
that.

Agreed, if that's what they're doing - as observed by a copy watching
the swerve going down the road or what have you.

Well hurrah! You're agreeing that getting druk and driving a car should be
illegal! I was wrong, maybe you are educable.

I suppose you'd be cool about someone firing a gun ionto a crowd of
people, provided he was lucky enough to not actually hit anyone.

No reasonable sane person would believe that one could fire a gun into
a crowd and not hurt someone. Plenty of reasonable people have gotten
behind the wheel of a car and that exactly that - and most don't hurt
people.

Good! So you agree that reckless endangerment should be a crime, even if
someone isn't actually hurt.

So now you understand why we have drunk-driving laws.