funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Social Security Card to be National ID?

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:58:17 -0400

Brian -- the problem is it's virtually impossible to enter this country
legally.

I run a fairly well-sized company.  In a state with basically zero
unemployment (Florida), getting good people is virtually impossible.  I
do not like the offshoring model, insisting that our core teams are here
at our head office (call me old-fashioned, but I believe it works better
that way).  This puts me at a significant disadvantage in terms of
getting high quality employees.  Often, we get people in other countries
who want to come to Sunbelt and work. However, the gauntlet you have to
run in order to get them here makes it an extremely difficult
proposition.   And forget it if they don't have a degree, or a graduate
degree.

I also live in a state where getting legal talent for blue-collar jobs
is beyond difficult -- it's basically impossible.  Again, the
zero-unemployment problem.  All of the construction is done by Mexicans.
Legal, illegal, whatever, the general contractors just require the subs
to have their basic paperwork.  And that is not a guarantee of legality.

But the Mexicans do contribute economically, at least in this state,
since the state has no income tax (Florida relies almost exclusively on
the sales tax along with taxes on cigarettes, booze, and gasoline and
lottery proceeds to pay its bills). Hence, the Mexicans pay sales tax
when they buy stuff and contribute to the economic system to the same
degree that anyone else does.   And if they use a fake social, well,
someone else is going to get a nice retirement benefit, I suppose.  But
they are paying into the system.

Yes, when they go in for emergency treatment (which is quite a bit rarer
than one might think, as they exhaust their home remedies first and use
the hospital as a last-ditch effort), the state pays if the immigrant
can't afford it.  Well, guess what, it's the same as for many other
low-wage earners in Florida.

As regards "felons", that is a broad generality. While bad people come
over, I find little evidence that the number is any larger than the
felons-at-large we have in our own system.

I'm not "pro" illegal immigration.  We do need reform.  We need to make
it possible to bring in the low-wage earners that keep this country
going.  And we also need to be able to bring in the high-wage earners
that help us remain competitive.

The solution so far is for companies to go offshore, which most mid to
large-sized companies have done to some degree.  That doesn't really
help anyone.  I'd rather have illegals than that.

Alex