funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:41:12 +0100 (BST)

I'm not sure where this fits in the discussion but, yeah, that SOUNDS
like a ridiculous program. The article did not read all that unbiased
so I have to reserve judgment to some degree - as I do with any news
story.

On the other hand, the saving of several species of migratory birds
has come by way Ducks Unlimited. Further, in the US, EVERY TIME you
buy anything to do with hunting or shooting (to include ammo and guns)
you have contributed to the care of our parks and conservation
departments. If everyone in the country stopped buying hunting and
fishing stuffs tomorrow they would have to close our national parks.

Huh. So there's no other way that this could be financed.

Never mind the arguments any government conservation agent will give
you about bettering the herds of wildlife and creating habitat -
without hunting there wouldn't be a conservation department in your
state, AND you'd wipe out the populations of several large game
species.

This sounds *so* like the arguments used by foxhunters to defend their
fun of chasing a small brown fox using a huge pack of dogs and cavalry.

I expect the Spanish use the same arguments about bullfighting, and the
bear-baiters, cockfighters and dogfighters were likely the same.