funsec mailing list archives

RE: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:28:59 +0100 (BST)

I suppose you lined up in my sights as Poster-child of the moment for
the "tolerant of all but Americans" crowd.  Being a Yank in Canada
(where one can be "anything-Candaian" - so long as it isn't
American-Canadian - and recieve on outpouring of societal support) I am
more than a little sick of the popular hobby of using ideals that I hold
very dear to insult me and everything I believe in.

If your ideals are wrong, then that's not too surprising. So, are your
ideals wrong?

Again, you've extrapolated from "I'm glad I'm not American" to "tolerant
of all but Americans". You folks really need to get a grip on your socks -
not everyone loves you, and not everyone hates you. Many folks are very
happy to live where they do, in the regime they're used to, in the climate
they're accustomed to, and we're pretty much indifferent to whether
Americans want a dozen guns per family and are willing to put up with the
concomitant level of gun crime. See, it doesn't affect us.

 It would be fun to hear folks swapping their usage of "American" and
other nations in conversation.  Would thier mouths be capable of forming
the words "The rich history and culture of America" or inversely "thank
the lord I am not [French/British/Pakistani/Korean/...]"?

Certainly I can say "The rich history and culture of America". Irony is
something we Brits are good at.

 The fundamental values of equality and reason that I believe are core
aspects of my national culture are being used incsincerely by people to
justify thier self-satisfying inequitous and irrational views.

If only.

At the core of your national culture is a "all men are created equal"
document written by slaveholders; slavery persisted for several decades
after these principles were "adopted". Talking about "reason", you have a
significant percentage of population (even a majority?) who believe that
the world was created in seven days, six thousand years ago.

It's always so interesting to find the hypocrisy at the base of the
self-styled Enlightened.  "All cultures are good, all people are great-
except for that group over there!".  On behalf of myself and my culture
- in a manner that fits with your evolved worldview - have a Nice Time
as you go fuck yourself. :~)

You're an American, aren't you. I can tell.

Hey, I'd hate to communicate with you in a way your deeply-held
prejudices would not accept.  You know us stupid mouth-breathing
Americans are not sophisticated enough to deliver our negative opinoins
through oblique references filled with insincere pleasantries designed
to let us save face in all possible situations.  Just have to use simple
little words to say what we really think and hope those of the Greater
Cultures can put up with us...

Hey, you're really getting better at this irony stuff!