funsec mailing list archives

Re: ruling: liability for providers who don't act on clients' illegal activities?

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 16:24:45 -0700

Paul Ferguson wrote:

Okay, a better question -- how do you feel if it's truly a criminal
enterprise (e.g. click fraud, DNS Changer malware, credential stealing
malware, credit card theft/trafficking, child porn, et al.)?

I'm digging myself a hole I won't be able to crawl out of here, but let
me try.  I am not very well spoken and what I am trying to say, isn't
coming out right.

"click fraud, DNS Changer malware, credential stealing
malware, credit card theft/trafficking"

Most of these things can be prevented with basic care by the end user.
No ISP involvement needed.  Keep your computer up to date, use a OS that
isn't "broken", FF - Noscript (goes _a long_ way), AV that is current
and enabled.

I typically do not feel bad for the folks that have those things happen
them.  I do not know about you, but most people I meet that have
computer troubles tell me about them.  I explain that it is a virus and
what can happen.  They don't care.  Until it does happen and they lose
their identity.  Then it is too late and the bad guy won.

With the fact that this type of stuff is on the 7 o'clock news regularly
now, excuses are running paper thin.

"child porn"

That is a whole different can of worms and _that_ is the type of stuff
that should be acted on.  There someone is being hurt.  If the hosting
provider doesn't clean it upon finding it, or upon the first reporting,
then not only should the poster, but the hosting provider, be lit on fire.

Are you familiar with Atrivo/Intercage, McColo, and Cernel? Russkrainain
criminal activity right here in the Good Ole U.S. of A,?

What's you position on that?

I am familiar with these things, yes.

For example, McColo, made no significant difference.  It was closed, and
spam levels dropped briefly.  They are right back where they were, like
it never happened.

If the folks would stop buying it, the senders would stop sending.

- ferg

--
Rob

|  ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |