funsec mailing list archives

Re: US capitol not in US, according to TSA

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:41:48 -0700

The average TSA worker earns $12-$17/hour.

And you get what you pay for.

- - ferg

On 7/18/2014 9:28 AM, Bill Terwilliger wrote:

The average TSA worker earns $12-$17/hour.  In Florida, where this
guy was from, he was probably closer to the $12 end of the scale.
This agent is probably in his early 20s and is only making slightly
more than someone working at a fast food restaurant.  That is about
as “most people” as you can get.  And given that most Americans
don’t understand confusing status of The District of Columbia, I
stand by my assertion that it is completely reasonable for someone
not to trust a license from some place that is not an state.

This whole situation reminds me of countless experiences I’ve had
working with entry level IT/security people.  Entry level people
are generally very passionate about their jobs, probably like this
TSA guy is, but they are still filling in knowledge gaps, so it is
reasonable to expect silly mistakes.  For instance, how many of us
have been told that that a client connecting to a server has an IP
address of 169.254.1.2 but they are *certain* that the issue is
with the server?  It would be easy to criticize an over zealous
newbie but that doesn’t help anyone in the long run.  And that is
why I feel that this reporter is making a mountain out of a
molehill.  Does he reasonably believe that no one at the TSA knows
that the District of Columbia issues their own licenses?  If not,
then shouldn’t the story should be “1 TSA employee out of 50,000
doesn’t know that District of Columbia issues their own licenses.”

—bill

On Jul 18, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)