funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real Traitors Please Stand Up?

From: "StyleWar" <stylewar () cox net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:33:31 -0500

Hey - why argue?  If you've got a better idea why not just pose it here, so
it can be armchair quarterbacked by the pundits and sniped at by ideologues
from the other side of the room?

Whether you intended or not, the absence of such a proposal appears to
communicate that unless there is total disclosure of *all information* known
or suspected by the good guys, coupled with some sort of consensus process
by all the interested parties before access is granted, that privacy
precludes security...even though:

1. Privacy is not a right established by any clause in the constitution
2. It can only be inferred to be a right as one of a list of things that the
constitution itself should not be used to deny (vis a vis the 9th
amendment).

In the end, it appears there is an insurmountable difference in philosophy.

In the absence of *specific* constitutional privacy protection, I would
argue only that the safety of U.S. citizens be held with greater preference
to their privacy. Logically, the death of the citizen renders privacy
meaningless.