funsec mailing list archives

Re: RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real Traitors Please S tand Up?

From: "Jerry Hill" <malaclypse2 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:12:41 -0400

On 5/15/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Having worked for a teclo for several years myself (Sprint),
I think it is entirely possible. And probable.

Given this administrations penchant for sidestepping legal
process under the guise of executive priviledge, I wouldn't
be surprised at all. There is corruption, deceit, and lies at
every step along the way within this administration.

And that's not just me bashing anyone -- it turns up in indictments
every day or so.

I must be missing something.  Why in the world would a federal
prosecutor in a high profile case use extra-legal means to obtain
evidence when there is a perfectly good legal channel to go through?
It seems to me that information obtained through the NSA's secret
program is almost certainly unusable in court (because either the
court will disallow it, or the NSA will object to the disclosure of
the source of the information).

I don't know anything about the legal climate in DC, but I know that I
see enough subpoenas for call records come across my desk that the
hurdle to obtain one can't be too high.

--
Jerry