funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Chris Boyd <paperghost () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:39:22 +0000

I like Twitter. Hated it at first, but it's pretty useful to me for a number of reasons.

1) I now know a bunch of security researchers from different companies by name and interact with them quite a bit,
whereas previously I could only have pointed and said the company name, entirely oblivious of who worked there. I now
follow a few more interesting security research blogs that I had no idea existed. That can only be a good thing.

2) I work in security, but have feet in both the arts / music camp (due to my past life as an arts & music guy) and the
comic book industry camp via the reviews I used to do and having friends from University who draw a lot of titles for
people like DC.

A while ago I found a comic book scam that was all about installing Adware; I'd have been somewhat embarrassed about
approaching big hitters in the comic industry I know only from interacting with them on their websites and asking them
directly to "spread the word". However, by sending out a simple "hey guys, anyone who does comics might want to warn
people about this" it was picked up by a number of well known comics writers and comic related media publishers -
something I couldn't have done just by putting a blog out.

It's the fact that I can cut across my "security guy" restraints and reach people from a whole diverse range of things
I'm involved in with one short message, all at the same time, that makes it valuable to me. Of course, you still have
to tailor your short message to be attractive enough to each camp which also takes some time to get the hang of.

3) Simply being on Twitter has allowed me to find a number of scams (some Twitter focused, some not) which wouldn't
have happened if I wasn't using it. Even if points 1 & 2 didn't exist, that on its own is more than enough for me.

Pg