funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:24:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Paul M. Moriarty wrote:
It takes a while to get a feel for twitter.  Gadi made many good
points about what there is to like about twitter (gee, am I agreeing
with Gadi?  :)  Yes initially it feels like people only tweet about
the inane and the mundane.

Looking through recent tweets of people I follow, I see reports on
SXSW (which I'm interested in), Lenovo's new pocket pc chingadera,
stuff on the bailout & AIG, & a place to test my web site against
every browser.  A lot of it is a tweet w/a link.  Yes, there's mundane
stuff too but it's easy to skip over.  There's a critical mass of
people you need to follow before you get over the "inane & mundane"
hump.  It helps to follow a diverse group of people, including
followees of your followees.

My impression is that most people who pooh-pooh Twitter have either
never tried it or tried it for a very short time and gave up before
getting over the aforementioned "inane & mundane hump".

The world's changing.  It's not Usenet, bang-path addresses, and
dialup BBS's any more and like it or not, we won't be going back
there.  Change with the times or be changed by them.

...Or stay behind, we don't mind you out of our brand new and shiny world.
:)

Is that what people are scared of?

Reminds me very clearly of how the anti virus industry repeatedly refused
to acknowledge new threats. First it was Trojan horses (not our
responsibility, not viruses, GARBAGE files). Then it waa repeated by
spyware and rootkits, leaving the AV industry behind.

Another unfortunate example is the anti spam community. By refusing to
acknowledge that spam moved on to more (rather than other) media, they did
not enlarge their coverage and ability to combat spam, nor did they
acknowledge it even happens so that the anti spam community had to be
re-created with new people a few times over. Sticking to email is fine,
stciking your head in the sand, wasn't.

- Paul -