funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:21:32 -0400 (EDT)

Over the last week or so, Google (in the form of Google Groups) has
started spamming me.
I have been seeing this behavior for will over a year now, maybe even
two or more.  Yahoo Groups is even worse than Google Groups.

I haven't noticed any such problems with Yahoo Groups, but that says
nothing, as I blanket-blocked Yahoo even longer ago for having totally
nonfunctional abuse-report handling.  (On at least two occasions,
people have told me it's been fixed.  Each time I've lifted the block
and found it no better; I'd take a lot of convincing before I give them
a third reprieve.  I can go into details about the misbehaviour I saw,
if anyone cares.)

I have seen a couple of different variations of the problem.

1) Some moron subscribes a mailing list [...] to the group.  Then,
when you post to the mail list, you either get a bounce (saying you
are not authorized to post to the group), or you get automatically
subscribed to the group.

Sounds as though this would require subscribing the group to the list,
not the other way around.  This could, I suppose, have been responsible
for what I saw, but for GG to do nothing to fix it - heck, not even
doing anything to cause the mail to stop! - after at least three days
of daily reports makes them part of the precipitate.

2) Some malware propagator sets up a group that apparently does not
require you to confirm.

If GG supports that?  In today's Internet?  Then they are _definitely_
part of the precipitate.

My $0.02 worth! [US$, not CA$ ;-) !]

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not just an isolated case here!

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org