funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

(And incidentally: a growing number of social networking sites are
turning out to be prolific spammers.  One in particular seems to me
to be nothing more than a front.  Hardly surprising.)

Over the last week or so, Google (in the form of Google Groups) has
started spamming me.  I got subscribed to some Google Groups list
without even so much as seeing anything I recognized as a subscription
confirmation.  I phrase it that way because the list traffic all uses
the Arabic alphabet, and I can't read even the alphabet, much less any
of the languages that use it, so it's possible one of the messages was
a subscription confirmation I didn't recognize as such.  But I most
certainly did not confirm.

I wrote to their postmaster.  I wrote to the addresses abuse.net listed
for them.  Repeatedly.  At approximately one-work-day intervals, too,
not the every-ten-minutes sort of thing.

Non of this helped.  Then, today? yesterday? I got similarly subscribed
to _another_ Google Groups list.  This one's traffic was in English, so
I'm quite confident I didn't miss a confirmation email.

All Google Groups mail is now blocked here.  I've been debating with
myself whether a blanket block against all of Google is called for.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org