funsec mailing list archives

Re: When are we going to start profiling? WAS RE: Don't spend too much time in the bathroom...PLEASE

From: Amrit Williams <johndoe321 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:26:56 -0800

What proof do we have that non-random vs. random profiling is more
effective?

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/student-papers/spring02-papers/caps.htm

We are human so prone to revert to profiling, conversely this creates an
inherent weakness as those who wish to do us harm simply need to understand
how we profile if they would like to bypass our controls. If one can
determine a pattern then it becomes easier to find a method to exploit it.

If caught late at night in a bad area of a major metropolitan city and come
across an 18-35 year old latino male covered in prison ink, wearing a
wife-beater with baggy jeans and a red bandana getting out of a dropped 1967
T-bird it is probably going to set off your "Danger Will Robinson" meter. If
one wanted to take me out in the middle of a major metropolitan city they
are going to be far more successful sending a goofy looking white-kid with a
pair of top siders, a polo, and some khakis - I would never see that coming.