funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sandy Hook

From: Kenneth Bechtel <kbechtel () teamanti-virus org>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:18:21 -0500

Dan White <dwhite () olp net> wrote:

On 12/14/2012 14:57, Dan White wrote:

That's not exactly fair. If he didn't have a gun, he would have been
unlikely to kill very many people. If he didn't have a gun, but the
school had an armed security guard, there probably would have been a
much different outcome. Something as simple as locking the front
door
(like some preschools do) might have helped.

Uhh, really?  is 22 children and one adult a close enough number?
From
a country with VERY strong gun control:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/14/22-kids-1-adult-injured-in-knife-attack-outside-chinese-school/

That's why I worded my statement the way I did. I hope that you are not
trying to argue that 0 is a similar number to 26.

If you are attempting to equate these two events, and that the result
of
the weapon used was inconsequential, then I strongly disagree with you.

It's disingenuous at best to blame the tool is what I am saying.  Neither guns, knives, sticks or rocks have a self
will.  They all need a human hand to guide them.  Are those Chinese children any less dead?  The tool IS
inconsequential, it's the human intent that has consequence.

I would not enroll my children in a school that armed teachers.
period.

This is not something with an easy fix, or it would have been tried.
Taking away guns from law abiding citizens who just want to defend
themselves ain't gonna happen (in the US).

My philosophy when it comes to protecting my family: figure out
where all
the crazy people are, and be somewhere else.

Please share your crystal ball or open your eyes and realize evil
people
are every where.

My attempt to seek out where crazy people are is a lot more successful
than
attempting to resolve this problem by arming teachers (which was the
solution presented by another poster). The fact that I've managed to
keep
my family safe is proof enough for me, but I understand this is a
highly
subjective standard.

Hmm the results of arming teachers has had a proven positive solution, just look at Israel, where the terrorists were
regularly attacking schools until teachers were armed.

It may be a bit easier for me in Oklahoma to find the crazy people,
since
a law allowing citizens to openly carry handguns has recently gone into
effect. I can say, without hesitation, that the average private citizen
openly carrying a firearm is going to be a great deal crazier than the
average citizen.

Disagree, I think it's crazy of YOU to not feel your family is worth protecting.  You are relying on those OCers and
the police to protect you and your family, THEY are taking responsibility for themselves and their family.  So who is
the crazy one?

--
Sent from my Android Tablet with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.