funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: knife ban going to work?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:46:43 -0400

On Wed, 31 May 2006 08:19:53 PDT, Jarrod Frates said:

within the framework of their society.  Canada has a very similar
make-up to the US socially: we watch largely the same TV, we drive the
same cars, wear the same clothes, and have approximately the same
religious distribution.  Yet the murder rate is lower there, even in
areas that have high poverty rates and population densities.  One
crime that is higher is sexual assault, which according to the numbers
is something like three times that of the US.  Whether this is due to
a much more inclusive definition of sexual assault or just that
Canadians are more willing to push themselves on others, I'm not sure.

Or the other obvious possibility - the *actual* rates are nearly identical,
but the *reporting* rates are different.  At least in the US, it's *known*
that many go unreported.